[blindkid] O&M program

adrijana prokopenko adrijana.prokopenko at gmail.com
Sun Oct 15 12:07:24 UTC 2017

On Monday, October 16 at 7:00 p.m. Eastern Time, our featured guest on
the Branco Broadcast conference call will be Justin Salisbury, blind
mobility instructor.
 To participate, please call 712-832-8294, and then use pass code
514295. Please be sure to mute your phones at all times during the
show unless you are
 asking Justin a question. When you are finished, please mute your
phone again. We need to avoid background noise as much as possible
because Branco Broadcast
 is recorded and archived for the general public. Also, please arrive
on the call 10 minutes before our guest, so you won’t miss anything.
Here is some
 information from Justin.
Blind people have been teaching orientation and mobility for as long
as the profession has existed. Richard Hoover is often credited as the
father of orientation
 and mobility, but Russell Williams, a blind veteran, was one of his
primary teachers. Since there was a big debate in the United States
about how blind
 people could teach orientation and mobility, in the early 1980s, an
orientation and mobility instructor and researcher from England
visited a training
 center in Nebraska, where he studied the way that blind people
taught. He wrote, “The whole mobility experience was much more in the
vein of structured
 discovery learning, rather than the receiving of sighted wisdom at
second hand.” Today, Structured Discovery Cane Travel is a registered
trademark of the
 National Blindness Professional Certification Board. Structured
Discovery Cane Travel practitioners, blind or sighted, must all
develop proficiency in
 nonvisual travel to the level that they can teach while wearing the
blindfold themselves. Most importantly, Structured Discovery
practitioners hold a deep,
 personal belief in the ability of blind people. They do not consider
themselves simply trainers of a particular skill; instead they
consider themselves
 as part of the organized movement of blind people from exclusion to
full integration and equality.
Justin will give a brief presentation, and will then take questions
from our participants. We look forward to hearing from all of you on
Monday evening.