[blindkid] IEP

rjaquiss rjaquiss at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 24 18:02:52 UTC 2018

Hello:

     Given the recent posts regarding access to science, I am appending a copy of the latest Independence Science newsletter. Hope this helps.

Regards,

Robert

Independence Science Newsletter
April 2018

Published and distributed by Independence Science
3000 KENT AVE
WEST LAFAYETTE, IN 47906-1075
Phone: (866) 862-9665
     Note for Robert Jaquiss, press #4.
Email: rjaquiss at independencescience.com
http://www.independencescience.com

Robert Jaquiss, Editor

>From The Editor

     Happy Spring! Please see the announcements; a less expensive method for laboratory access, JAWS scripts for JAWS 2018 and updated information for the 2018 ISLAND conference.

ISLAND 2018 Conference

     The 2018 ISLAND conference will be held at Princeton University September 14-15, 2018. Abstracts are now being accepted by sending to: Cary Supalo at: island at princeton.edu.
The deadline for abstract submission is June 30, 2018. Those whose presentations have been accepted will be notified by July 15, 2018.
The pre-registration for ISLAND will open in July 2018.

Logger Pro Scripts for JAWS 2018

     Any user upgrading their JAWS to JAWS 2018 will need replacements scripts. Please contact Independence Science for assistance.

Less expensive laboratory access with a PC

If you have a desktop or laptop pc available in a lab, it is possible to acquire data using the following setup:
1.	Logger Pro.
2.	JAWS Scripts for Logger Pro.
3.	Labquest or Labquest Mini.
Proceed as follows:
1.	Start Logger Pro. (Note: the JAWS scripts must have previously been installed.)
2.	Connect the Labquest hardware to the PC. (Note: The Labquest drivers must already be installed.)
3.	The Logger Pro commands can now be used to collect and analyze data.

Sci-Voice Talking LabQuest 2 now available:

     Why you would want to own a Sci-Voice Talking LabQuest2:
Use a faster more robust interface for scientific data collection. The use of the external keyboard makes scientific data collection much more intuitive meaning there is less to remember and the user experience is much faster than ever before. In addition to this new faster experience, the Sci-Voice Talking LabQuest2 offers a larger hard-drive, a bigger storage space on-board the device, and a faster processer. Simplified keyboard access to speech rate and volume control leads to a smoother user experience. Also, on-screen reverse polarity is now available for low vision users. In addition to an
Enhanced talking periodic table experience, this new device provides access to all of the Vernier Software & Technology published lab curricula under the new Lab Instructions page. This new plethora of accessible resources serves as a valuable reference for both students and teachers. As an added bonus, a useful resource folder has also been added under the Lab Instructions section of the new Sci-Voice Talking LabQuest2. In here you will find information about solubility rules, strong and weak acids and basis, and more will be added soon! All of this and more is available now in the new Sci-Voice Talking LabQuest2.
For more information, please email Robert Jaquiss at rjaquiss at IndependenceScience.com. You may also call: (866) 862-9665, Ext.4.

Free Access Tools for your Class

Looking for free access tools for your class?
Did you know that the Described and Captioned Media Program offers free audio described and closed-captioned videos you can use in your classroom? These videos include popular topics such as science, math, technology, health and safety and many others!
	These videos even include popular videos like those from National Geographic and History Channel. You can search by subject, lesson topic, or simply browse the available material. There are a wide variety of topics from information about Hellen Keller and Martin Luther King to blindness to animals, aeronautics, chemistry, and even nanotechnology! You are sure to find a helpful video for your class! For more information, see the web site: https://dcmp.org/ To access most videos, a user must be a parent of a k-12 child or be involved with K-12 education. Users will also need to use Firefox or Chrome for a browser since Internet Explorer is not supported.

Using Latex

If a student or professional is going to read or write documents that include mathematical notation, a knowledge of Latex will be very useful. Using MathType by Design Science, it is easy to insert equasions in Word documents. If Duxbury's DBT software is run on a PC with Mathtype installed, DBT will automatically insert the proper codes for braille math. The following links provide more information.
Duxbury's math article. http://www.duxburysystems.com/dbt_math.asp?f3=USA
Authoring Math Using MS Word and MathType  by John Gardner Ph.D
http://www.access2science.com/jagqn/WordLatex.html  This article is a great article for beginners.
Design Science's site is: http://dessci.com/en/
A wikibook is also available at https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/LaTeX

Announcements

     The following announcements are STEM and education related. Independence Science reprints this information as we receive it. We make no warranty as to the accuracy of these items although we will endeavor to only print legitimate items. We reserve the right to edit for space and clarity. We will also repeat some announcements such as scholarships etc. until the opportunities expire.

NFB-BELL Programs

Various affiliates of the National Federation of the Blind will be holding BELL (Braille Education Literacy and Learning) programs this summer. These programs are for children ages 4-12. For more information, see the site: http://www.nfb.org/bell.

SENSE-SATIONAL ADVENTURES IN SUMMER SCIENCE (SASS)
PRESENTS:
The SUBTLE, SUBLIME, SONOROUS, SYMPHONIC SCIENCE OF SOUND

Would life, as we know it, be the same if there was no sound?  Can plants hear? Could bees pollinate without sound? How does sound effect our health?  Can humans use echo location like bats do? What is the difference between sound and noise?

If any of these questions interest you or if you have questions about sound of your own, you will enjoy the 2018 SENSE-SATIONAL ADVENTURES IN SUMMER SCIENCE (SASS) program, The, sometimes silly, but always scientific, The SUBTLE, SUBLIME, SONOROUS, SYMPHONIC SCIENCE OF SOUND.  This year’s SASS program will be presented July 29-August 5, 2018.

Our format for SASS 2018 will be a little different.  We will begin in the outdoor splendor of Camp Tuhsmeheta for 3 days and then travel to the more urban environment of the University of Michigan Dearborn campus for the last 3 days.  At Camp T, we will investigate how nature uses and makes sound and how it effects us and our environment.  In Dearborn, we will explore how humans have invented ways of changing, amplifying and entertaining us with and preserving sound.  We will see the birthplace of the phonograph and learn how vinyl and electronic music is made and saved.  You will have an opportunity to use your artistic creativity to express yourself with sound.

So come in creatively clanging, brilliantly banging, whispering or whirring, silently stalking, or humorously humming, but no matter your sonorous state, come join us for The SUBTLE, SUBLIME, SONOROUS, SYMPHONIC SCIENCE OF SOUND
For more information contact:
youth at nfbmi.org
Fred Wurtzel f.wurtzel at att.net or Donna Posont at donnabutterfly50 at gmail.com

Technical Tips

     The following technical tips are offered in hopes they may be of use. Due to the many possible variations in PCs and equipment, Independence Science cannot be responsible for any undesirable outcomes.

1.	For many of us, a classic Perkins brailler is still an essential tool. If you need to get yours repaired, here is a link to a list of brailler repair services: https://nfb.org/braillewriter-repair-resource-list.
2.	Warning! Independence Science strongly advises all iS current and future customers to not upgrade the operating system on their Sci-Voice Talking LabQuest 2 device without being notified by Independence Science. There are other versions of operating systems that are not compatible with the text-to-speech features of Sci-Voice Talking LabQuest. Therefore, we strongly advise all ISci customers to not upgrade the OS on your device without prior notification. Failure to do so will likely disable the text-to-speech on your device.

     Please send comments and suggestions to me at: rjaquiss at IndependenceScience.com.