[BlindKid] Im new to the mailing list

Dr. Risa Shariff risa.shariff at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 19:31:17 UTC 2019

Hello-

I have an 18 year old with micropthalmia who started to harm himself, my
family and staff at school. He was expelled from the school for the blind.
It was extremely disheartening and seemed to come from nowhere. He is also
non-verbal, has developmental delay and has autism which contributes to his
frustrations.  I cannot emphasize how difficult this situation is to those
who have not experienced it but I know it can get better.

When he is like that we withdraw. He navigates the apartment well and can
find us when he is in that state. It is amazing that he is so strong and
vicious. All of my family had marks from his violent episodes.

 We withdraw all of his pleasures including music (and he loves showers!)
until he is calm for a time. Then we talk to him and explain why it is
inappropriate. Then we return his pleasures after that.

He was given medication by a pediatric Psychiatrist. We see almost no
episodes of aggression now or extremely rarely. We also give melatonin to
regulate his sleep.

I’m praying for peace in your mind as I know the struggle.

Risa Shariff

--
Thanks, Dr. Risa Shariff, CI and CT