[blindlaw] ADA from Canada?

E.J. Zufelt everett at zufelt.ca
Thu Dec 4 01:28:09 UTC 2008

Good evening Keith,

Thanks for the information.

With the ever increasing globalization of commerce and employment these
issues are very important to be studied and discussed.

I think that there are definitely pros to having a comprehensive disabillity
statute like the ADA.  However, one of the weaknesses is in the negotiations
and compromises that come out of the process of creating the statute.

In Canada we definitely have nothing as comprehensive as the ADA.
Nevertheless, we do have general human rights statutes in each jurisdiction
which incorporate disability as one of the grounds that cannot be
discriminated against.  A lot more work in some cases to prove that the
general applies to the specific, however, less barriers in that we do not
have specifics that "specifically" prevent actions in particular areas.
Giving a bit of freedom to the courts to use reason in their application of
the law, novel idea.

We, at least in the jurisdictions I have studied, do not have a specific
wording of "public accomodations" but more genearally "provision of
services".  That being said we have nothing that explicitly prevents
information systems from being inaccessible to individuals with
disabilities.  Although it has never been tested, I imagine that "provision
of services" would be extended to encompass Internet retail or service
provision, that is if the issue wasn't privately settled first.

Thanks,
Everett