[blindlaw] Mike's Hike

Michael O. Hanson mhanson at winternet.com
Fri Dec 12 14:24:26 UTC 2008

Dear Fellow Blind Lawyers:

My name is Mike Hanson.  I happen to be blind.  I have been a member of this list for years and learned a great deal from it.

I plan to hike the 2,174-mile Appalachian Trail using GPS starting in March, 2009 to demonstrate the independence of persons with visual impairments, the use of adaptive and assistive technology to achieve our independence, and the value of GPS to the blind community.  Adaptive technology will be a major component of my hike.

Award-winning videographer Gary L. Steffens will make a documentary of Mike's Hike.  Please visit http://www.blindhiker.com for more information on my plans.

Thank you for your support and suggestions so far.  The only obstacle on my path is funding.  Help me prove prevailing myths about the dependence of persons with disabilities wrong and open doors for persons with visual impairments.  Make me take a hike!

Sincerely,

Mike Hanson