[blindlaw] New guy

tim and vickie shaw timandvickie at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 5 16:25:50 UTC 2008

Hello everyone, My name is Tim. I am new to the group.  I am wanting to start law school in the fall. Just keep running into obstacles at the moment *sighs* hard not to get discouraged. Hoping maybe can get a few good words and some guidance here. This is something I have always wanted to do I guess really in the back of my mind, but something I really didnt see myself ever actually doing. I want to do this so I can handle ADA cases and works as an advocate for children that may have to go through all that I did.

I graduated from college in 2005 with a degree in Business Management.  Not having any work experience I have had a very tough time finding a job. I worked for awhile for couple of companies that specialize in providing employment and training to disabiled individuals and "help" them. The frustrating experience working with these people only served to strengthen my resolve that I wanted to work to be able to "fix" things like this.

I was desperate to get out of the situation I was in and decided to take on teaching. I have gotten my certification in Special Education and Business education but once again have been pumping my head for a year trying to get work to no avail. I had planned on working as a teacher whnile i went to law school. Due to my inability to find work in and out of teaching I have decided to just try and move forward to going to law school.

I live in Texas and here it is law that blind individuals recieve a tuition and fee waiver as well as the government agency that works with the blind provides textbook vouchers and assistance.  I called my counselor at the Division for Blind Services to ask her about going back to school because she is the one that will have to help me to get my tuition waiver adn all of this, but she wouldnt even talk to me about it. She said that she doesnt think its reasonable for me to go back to school because how do they not know that they will give me the money to and then when I get out still wont be able to find work.

So once again, I have hit my head against a wall when trying to deal with the very people that are supposed to be there to help. I am just getting extremely frustrated and mean time my marriage is going to hell because of my lack of being able to find word and seeming to jsut be sitting in a rut. I am lost for what to do.

OK enough rambling, sorry for bothering yall with all of this jsut needed to get it off my chest and see if anyone had any good words for me.

Tim Shaw