[blindlaw] New guy

tim and vickie shaw timandvickie at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 6 02:43:49 UTC 2008

I will try and dig aroudn their site for an appeal process, sadly as in most government sites their website is not a very good one. Problem is I dont know if an appeal is the right step yet since she has not even allowed me to talk to her really about it in the first place then can I say that she denied my request when she didnt really even let me make my request?> Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 19:35:20 -0500> From: Noel.Nightingale at ed.gov> To: blindlaw at nfbnet.org> Subject: Re: [blindlaw] New guy> > Tim:> > Each state vocational rehabilitation agency is required to have in place> an ability to grant exceptions or waivers to policies that arbitrarily> limit the kinds of services that can be included in an individualized> plan for employment, such as a rule that an agency will not pay for> graduate school. > > However, it does not sound like that is the stumbling block you are> facing, rather it sounds like your vocational rehabilitation counselor> has rejected your employment goal, in which case it seems that you need> to go through the appeal process, which the agency is also required to> have in place and should be on its website or in its policies or rules.> > Noel nightingale> Seattle, Washington> > -----Original Message-----> From: blindlaw-bounces at nfbnet.org [mailto:blindlaw-bounces at nfbnet.org]> On Behalf Of tim and vickie shaw> Sent: Wednesday, November 05, 2008 8:26 AM> To: blindlaw at nfbnet.org> Subject: [blindlaw] New guy> > > Hello everyone, My name is Tim. I am new to the group. I am wanting to> start law school in the fall. Just keep running into obstacles at the> moment *sighs* hard not to get discouraged. Hoping maybe can get a few> good words and some guidance here. This is something I have always> wanted to do I guess really in the back of my mind, but something I> really didnt see myself ever actually doing. I want to do this so I can> handle ADA cases and works as an advocate for children that may have to> go through all that I did. > > I graduated from college in 2005 with a degree in Business Management.> Not having any work experience I have had a very tough time finding a> job. I worked for awhile for couple of companies that specialize in> providing employment and training to disabiled individuals and "help"> them. The frustrating experience working with these people only served> to strengthen my resolve that I wanted to work to be able to "fix"> things like this. > > I was desperate to get out of the situation I was in and decided to take> on teaching. I have gotten my certification in Special Education and> Business education but once again have been pumping my head for a year> trying to get work to no avail. I had planned on working as a teacher> whnile i went to law school. Due to my inability to find work in and out> of teaching I have decided to just try and move forward to going to law> school.> > I live in Texas and here it is law that blind individuals recieve a> tuition and fee waiver as well as the government agency that works with> the blind provides textbook vouchers and assistance. I called my> counselor at the Division for Blind Services to ask her about going back> to school because she is the one that will have to help me to get my> tuition waiver adn all of this, but she wouldnt even talk to me about> it. She said that she doesnt think its reasonable for me to go back to> school because how do they not know that they will give me the money to> and then when I get out still wont be able to find work. > > So once again, I have hit my head against a wall when trying to deal> with the very people that are supposed to be there to help. I am just> getting extremely frustrated and mean time my marriage is going to hell> because of my lack of being able to find word and seeming to jsut be> sitting in a rut. I am lost for what to do.> > OK enough rambling, sorry for bothering yall with all of this jsut> needed to get it off my chest and see if anyone had any good words for> me.> > > Tim Shaw> _________________________________________________________________> See how Windows(r) connects the people, information, and fun that are> part of your life http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/119463819/direct/01/> _______________________________________________> blindlaw mailing list> blindlaw at nfbnet.org> http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/listinfo/blindlaw_nfbnet.org> To unsubscribe, change your list options or get your account info for> blindlaw:> http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/options/blindlaw_nfbnet.org/noel.nightinga> le%40ed.gov> > > _______________________________________________> blindlaw mailing list> blindlaw at nfbnet.org> http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/listinfo/blindlaw_nfbnet.org> To unsubscribe, change your list options or get your account info for blindlaw:> http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/options/blindlaw_nfbnet.org/timandvickie%40hotmail.com