[blindlaw] for Virginia attorneys

Mike Gilmore m_b_gilmore at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 21 13:59:03 UTC 2008

Hi everybody.

This question is for Virginia attorneys. (I'm especially interested in northern Virginia advice; but, I'll take advice from anyone.)

Do any of you work out of your home as a solo practitioner instead of renting office space or working for a firm?

I've been applying to the feds (and for those of you who have, you know that molasses if faster than they are in responding.) I'll be sitting for February's D.C. bar and hopefully pass so that I could pursue a career with a D.C. firm as an ethics associate (I'm unaware of any Virginia firms who hire ethics associates.) Anyway, I've also thought about doing solo work in the area of adoption law. For those of you who do work out of your home, how do you meet with clients? What type of equipment do you use? Do you have any sighted assistants working with you? Let's fac it: working out of your home is cheaper than renting office space. (But, is that something DBVI would do for someone hanging out their shingle? I know they'll pay for the first year of malpractice insurance because it's something that a lawyer ought to have.)

Any advice or personal experiences would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Mike