[blindlaw] FW: Cory Doctorow: Authors have lost the plot in Kindle battle

Chris Danielsen cdanielsen8 at aol.com
Wed Apr 1 10:21:23 UTC 2009

Cory Doctorow, The Guardian March 31, 2009

Authors have lost the plot in Kindle battle

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2009/mar/31/cory-doctorow-kindle

Amazon's Kindle 2 text-to-speech feature is not so much violating
authors' copyright but rather basic consumer rights

The Amazon Kindle 2's release in February was attended by much fanfare
and controversy: Kindle customers were delighted to discover that
Amazon had upgraded the Kindle's feature-set so that it could use a
credible text-to-speech synthesiser to read the books aloud.

This set off the Authors Guild (an organisation that is also on record
as opposing making books searchable through Google, and making used
books available through Amazon), who claimed that Amazon was in
violation of copyright, since only the rightsholder could authorise an
"audiobook adaptation" of a book.

As a point of law, I think that the Authors Guild is just wrong here,
for the obvious reasons that:

1. It's not an infringement for a Kindle owner to use technology
privately to modify a copyrighted work. If you own a painting, you can
take a photo of it to carry around in your wallet - without paying the
painter any extra. You can rip your CDs at home without the musician's
permission.

And you can use a technology to convert an ebook to a text-to-speech
audiobook in your home without paying the author or getting his or her
permission. The question gets murkier if we're talking about selling
or giving away those photos, MP3s, and audio editions, but that's not
what the Guild objects to - they say that the conversion itself
infringes copyright.

2. Even if I'm wrong and it is an infringement to convert an ebook to
a text-to-speech reading, Amazon's hands are clean, because the
infringer is the person who presses the "read aloud" button - that is,
the Kindle owner. Xerox doesn't have to make photocopiers that only
copy public domain works. Apple doesn't have to make a version of
iTunes that only rips CDs you own, and rejects ones you've borrowed
off your mates. Microsoft can ship Windows without making sure that
the files in the file-system don't infringe on copyright. The Mozilla
Foundation can give away versions of Firefox, even though the browser
can just as handily be used to download infringing material as non-
infringing material.

But ultimately, the legality of the feature is irrelevant - as is the
nonsensical discussion about whether the Kindle's text-to-speech is
(or will someday be) as good as a commercial, human-generated
audiobook (the answers being, "No," and "The day that artificial
intelligence gives us perfect Kindle readings, we'll have bigger fish
to fry than audiobook rights").

The reason it's irrelevant is that Amazon wants to get licenses from
members of the Authors Guild in order to sell their books in the
Kindle store.

And when Amazon goes to those members, they can simply say, "No, I
won't let you sell my books because the Kindle has a text-to-speech
capability and I don't like it." No need to go into bizarre, long-
winded speculations about whether copyright law requires Amazon to
build copyright enforcement into its devices, or whether Jeff Bezos's
crack team of AI wizards at Amazon are about to unleash an army of
superintelligent artificial voice-actors, sandwiched within the
Kindle's slender chassis.

The Authors Guild can simply say: "We advise our members to withhold
licenses from the Kindle store because we think the Kindle format is
bad for our business."

Now, I happen to disagree with that position because I don't think
that text-to-speech is a substitute for audiobooks for the majority of
listeners, and because the value of text-to-speech is such that people
will buy enough ebooks to offset any losses from substitution, and,
most importantly, authors who oppose this feature look like grasping,
greedy jerks and will alienate their readers.

Maybe I'm right and maybe I'm wrong, but the important thing is, we
don't need new theories about copyright law to test the proposition.
The existing, totally non-controversial aspect of copyright law that
says, "Amazon can't publish and sell my book without my permission"
covers the territory nicely.

But while we were all running our mouths about the plausibility of the
singularity emerging from Amazon's text-to-speech R&D, a much juicier
issue was escaping our notice: it is technically possible for Amazon
to switch off the text-to-speech feature for some or all books.

That's a hell of a thing, isn't it? Now that Amazon has agreed with
the Authors Guild that text-to-speech will only be switched on for
authors who sign a contract permitting it, we should all be goggling
in amazement at the idea that this can be accomplished.

After all, the Kindle customers who've already received their units,
bought devices that were advertised as "capable of reading Kindle
books aloud", not "reading some Kindle books aloud". The only ways
that Amazon could accomplish this is:

1. If they had anticipated this outcome and secretly enabled this
feature before shipping the Kindles - effectively engaging in false
advertising, or;

2. If they can force you to downgrade your Kindle to remove the
feature (possibly by ending your ongoing access to the Kindle store,
or even by terminating your access to your existing Kindle books).

Neither of these should inspire confidence in the Kindle as a long-
term device. Dropping $359 (£251) on a device whose features are
subject to the outcomes of ongoing negotiations to which you are not a
party is, frankly, nuts.

Would you buy a car if it was known that your air-conditioner and
stereo system could be remotely disabled? Or if we suddenly discovered
that the manufacturer could remotely lock you out of your boot in
order to assuage some pressure group who'd rather you no longer be
allowed to carry parcels around? It's one thing for next year's model
to ship without the fantastic stereo system but it's another thing
entirely for the manufacturer to rip it out of your dashboard after
you've bought it.

If I were running the Authors Guild, this would be my number one
issue: we can't afford to allow our books to be used to lure readers
into purchasing devices that can turn against them. Because whatever
bad feelings arise from this, some of them will surely be visited upon
us.

Novelists know that a gun on the mantelpiece in act one is apt to go
off by the third act. If we want to talk about potential outcomes for
Amazon, then one in which the company disappears, changes hands, or
loses its mind should get far more consideration from us than the
possibility that it will mastermind major technological breakthroughs
in machine-speech synthesis.

And on the day that Amazon goes crazy, goes under, or goes to the
dogs, our readers - the people whose long-term goodwill we depend on
to earn our livings - face the possibility of having their Kindles
arbitrarily downgraded, refeatured, or otherwise modified to attack
them and the books they've bought from us.

If I were running the Authors Guild, I'd be sounding the alarm to my
members to license their ebooks only for formats and devices that give
our readers - our customers - a fair deal that makes them glad to have
supported us.

database 3979 (20090331) __________

http://www.eset.com

database 3979 (20090331) __________