[blindlaw] Fw: Reading RightsCoalition UrgesAuthors toAllow Everyone Access to E-books

mworkman at ualberta.ca mworkman at ualberta.ca
Wed Apr 1 17:32:59 UTC 2009

I read the Doctorow article forwarded by Chris earlier, and it was helpful
in clearing up some of my confusion.

He seems to be saying that Amazon was not selling an audio book, but merely
the capability to make your own audio book.  I see the distinction, but it's
difficult to see a real difference.  So it would be wrong if Amazon allowed
you to download an mp3 every time you downloaded the print version, but it's
okay that Amazon gives you the ability to create an audio rendering with
every download of a print copy.  What I find odd is that the two cases might
be functionally identical (i.e., you can play, stop, fast forward and rewind
exactly the same in both cases), and yet one is allowed and the other is
not.

A screen reader such as jaws doesn't function like an mp3 rendering of the
text.  You can go through the text character by character, you can tell it
what punctuation to speak allowed, and it's designed to translate any text
on the screen into speech, not just books.  Without knowing the details of
the Kindle's TTS, it seems to function more like an mp3 recording of the
work.  Can you move through the text character by character? Can you decide
what punctuation you want it to speak allowed? I really don't know the
answers to these questions, but I do know you can't currently use it to read
anything other than the print book, which distinguishes it from a screen
reader.

So now my question is, if the TTS functions identically with an mp3
recording of the book, then what difference is there between the two? It
seems arbitrary to allow one but not the other.

Best,

Marc