[blindlaw] blindlaw questions

Michael Hingson info at michaelhingson.com
Tue Apr 14 01:05:54 UTC 2009

 From Michael Hingson:

Dave,

Would you please post the following?

I wish to provide some clarification to my post of last week as well
as some answers to questions about costs and function.

First, There has been some question about the cost of
MobileSpeak.  The best answer I can give is that HumanWare, I am
sure, has negotiated a price for MobileSpeak.  It may well be that
they are able to sell the product for $195 while other organizations
which do not sell as much of the product must sell it for a higher
cost.  On the other hand when you purchase the product from HumanWare
you must install, activate, and configure it.  When we configure
KnfbReader Mobile products with a screen reader all parts of the
product, including the screen reader, are installed, activated, and
configured.  It is up to each of you whether or not you wish to buy
all the pieces of the Reader and put them together or pay someone to
do so.  This technology, especially aspects of the cell phones, are
obscure and confusing.  You also must take into account support for
the product.  Most dealers will only support what they
sell.  Purchasing MobileSpeak from HumanWare may be fine so long as
they give you support should you not know anything about installing
and activating it.  I only wish to point out that many issues must be
considered when buying each part of the Reader package separately and
then merging them altogether.

Someone asked what the Reader is.  The KnfbReader Mobile is a package
consisting of software, and a cell phone which together make up a
system which will read most print aloud.  Many of us use the Reader
daily to read anything from mail to books and magazines to printed
information on items around the house.  If anyone wishes more
information about the KnfbReader Mobile please feel free to call me
at (415) 827-4084 or please visit http://knfbreader.michaelhingson.com .

Thanks for reading.  I hope to be of service to you.

Best,

Michael Hingson

The Michael Hingson Group
      "Speaking with Vision"
                  Michael Hingson, President
                          (415) 827-4084
                    <mailto:info at michaelhingson.com>info at michaelhingson.com
                    www.michaelhingson.com

for info on the new KNFB Reader Mobile, visit:
<http://knfbreader.michaelhingson.com/>http://knfbreader.michaelhingson.com
<http://knfbreader.michaelhingson.com/>
http://michaelhingson.com/images/knfbReader-michael_hingson.jpg