[blindlaw] Question from Texas

WB mruniverse08 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 1 14:52:54 UTC 2009

Hello group.  I have a question and I will try to not be too lengthy.

Last night after 8 p.m., after it was dark outside, I was sitting in my
living room when some people start to bang on my door.  I went to the door
and yelled through asking who it was.  They stated they were apartment
security.  Considering I live in a not so savory neighborhood and I had not
been out of my apartment for the past couple days, I was weary of opening
the door.  I asked what they wanted and they told me to open the door.  I
told them I would call the police first and then I would open the door.
They continued to bang to the point that it seemed as though they were
trying to push my door open.

Once I called the police, I told the dispatcher that I was blind and that
people were knocking on the door loudly and saying they are security.  I
know that we sometimes have security but it is not a consistent thing.  The
dispatcher asked if I wanted to stay online and I told her yes because when
the cop got here I needed to know if it was really him.  Well, shortly
afterwards, there was another loud knock on the door and immediately
thereafter banging on the window.  I yelled through the door asking who it
is and he said it was the police.  I asked what was his badge number so I
could ask the dispatcher and he refused.

I eventually open the door when the dispatcher says you can probably go
ahead and open the door.  He then pushes my door open and asks me if I had
stolen someone's cell phone and taken out running.  I told him no
considering I'm blind and cannot outrun anybody.  He then told me to stand
outside my apartment and proceeded to go through my apartment, apparently
looking for somebody.  When he was done, all he said was to go back in and
close my door.

There are so many things wrong with this situation that I do not think I am
really grasping the magnitude of this.  Could someone tell me what all I
need to report to the police department?  I tried calling and filing a
complaint right after this incident last night and they would not accept it.
They actually put me on hold when I started telling my story and never came
back to the phone.  I'm also going to report, in writing, to my apartment
managers that security handled themselves very unprofessionally by banging
on my door.  Someone please give me some guidance.

William