[blindlaw] Apoligies prior message was cut off:

William ODonnell william.odonnell1 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 26 16:02:10 UTC 2009

I see that some have thought my message about my current expearience of studying for the GRE was a spam filled message.
The information below outlines my experiences while studying for the Graduate Record Examination (GRE).  I need some advice on how to proceed forward since I am not getting what I have paid for.
WARNING:
To those who are blind or visually impaired who want or are taking the prep courses for the GRE.  Take the prep courses on your own with a private tutor.  Do not take a class through Kaplan.  You and any one supporting you will not get the $1100.00 you paid for since both the website is inaccessible and you are not given proper accessible course material in alternative formats usable to a screen-reader or screen magnification program in a timely manor.
The course requires individuals to utilize the textbook and internet resources in an interactive classroom setting where the instructor demonstrates concepts and the students read or openly discuss specific examples from the text in the textbook.
Even working through the representatives of the local Kaplan centers, the issues fall back on Kaplan as a corporation since you are lead to believe that you are the first blind or visually in pared person that Kaplan has come across.  With a founding some 50+ years ago, I believe that Kaplan has had more than one visually impaired or blind person register for its courses.
Kaplan has a refund policy which clearly states that one is not able to get a full refund after the third course session.  The initial diagnostic examination counts as the first course.  Kaplan is more than willing to make standard accommodations to those who require them for this.  When one chooses to obtain help through representatives from Kaplan for there accessibility issues, the representatives will diligently work with you once one has completed two consecutive class sessions.  This means that the deadline for any refunds has passed.
Regarding the kaptest.com website, do not be mislead.  The main page is completely accessible.  The accessibility issues come up once you register and are able to create a student account.  A student account can only be completed once one has authorized either a classroom instruction or tutoring session with a major credit card.  The accessibility issues result from the personal student portals being formatted to support flash content and the lack of Kaplan integrating the website accessibility standards referred to as the W3c.org/waiweb access initiative and /TR technical reference pages through adobe systems.
Unless one has there own personal equipment to utilize, one is not able to utilize there local Kaplan center’s equipment since none of the centers have any accessible screen magnifications or screen reading software on sight.
In addition, for those who choose to study and prepare for the GRE through there local colleges or universities, those individuals would have the same problems since the teachings and course related material is still channeled through Kaplan and not the local colleges or University.  Kaplan outsources itself within local colleges and universities to offer there programs since Kaplan is a monopoly as a service provider.
Kaplan’s main headquarters are located in New York City, a place so diverse yet so segregated to those few who possess special personal corporate interests or political clout.  .