[blindlaw] ADA and Air Travel

stiehm.law stiehm.law at juno.com
Tue Dec 1 20:57:43 UTC 2009

In addition to the airlines, I have recently become curious as to what if
any, accommodations for the TSA makes with respect to disabled people
going through security and being picked up by somebody at the gate at the
terminal at the other end of the flight. For example, do they permit a
blind person who is traveling alone to be accompanied through security,
down to the airline check-in counter at the gate by a non-ticketed
person.

At the other end, is a non-ticketed person permitted through security to
go to the gate to meet a blind person flying alone?

If TSA does not provide for such accommodations do the airlines take it
on themselves to provide this service?

Has anybody had any experience in this regard? Is the accommodation, if
any, voluntary on the part of the TSA and/or the airlines or is it
governed by regulation?

Patrick H. Stiehm
Stiehm Law Office
Alexandria, VA 22309
703-360-1089 (Voice)
703-935-8266 (Fax)

 Tue, 1 Dec 2009 11:30:37 -0800 "Russell J. Thomas, Jr."
<rthomas at rjtlawfirm.com> writes:
> Off the top of my head, and without any new research, the only case
> remember is a case challenging the accessibility of airline websites
> with
> respect to attempting to make reservations and ordering tickets on
> line.
>
> I also think that there are regulations on the subject, especially
> dealing
> with how disabled passengers are to be treated (or perhaps on some
> occasions
> mistreated).
>
> I often thought it would be a good idea for the NFB to put together
> a short
> guide book concerning travel, including air travel, based upon
> experiences
> of NFB members, to be used as a reference guide for blind people who
> use air
> travel.  Certainly things have changed since 911--some changes for
> the good,
> and others not so good.
>

> Respectfully,
>

> Russell J. Thomas, Jr.