[blindlaw] state computer system case

Bill Reif billreif at ameritech.net
Wed Dec 2 06:37:21 UTC 2009

Hi Patti and list,

I believe the caption of the case is: Jim W. Thatcher, National
Federation of the Blind (NFB) v The State of Arkansas. Our final Press
Release is below. PA sued the same software company.

Bill Reif

National Federation of the Blind of Arkansas
Agrees to Settlement of Lawsuit Over
Accessibility of Software to Blind State Employees
Little Rock, Arkansas (August 11, 2008): The National Federation of the
Blind of
Arkansas and two blind state employees have agreed to a settlement among
themselves,
the state of Arkansas, and software provider SAP Public Services, Inc.
The agreement
resolves a lawsuit brought by blind state employees in 2001 because the
blind could
not access the Arkansas Administrative Statewide Information System
(AASIS). The
state, in turn, brought suit against SAP, which had substantially
designed AASIS.
Under the agreement, SAP will upgrade AASIS to include accessibility
features that
will allow blind state employees using text-to-speech screen access
technology to
perform employment functions using AASIS. The upgrade is to be in place
by August
1, 2009.
Chris McKenzie, president of the National Federation of the Blind of
Arkansas, said:
“We are pleased that the state of Arkansas and SAP are taking steps to
ensure that
blind state employees will be able to perform their jobs efficiently and
effectively
using the same tools as all other state employees. We will continue to
monitor the
situation until we are certain that all of the necessary functions of
AASIS are fully
accessible to blind employees of this state.”
Dustin McDaniel, attorney general of the state of Arkansas, said: “We
are pleased
with the settlement that was reached in this matter and are glad to put
this lengthy
litigation behind us. It was a good resolution for the State as well as
blind state
employees who will now have equal access to the State's computer system."