[blindlaw] Westlaw question

Mike Gilmore m_b_gilmore at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 8 18:05:11 UTC 2009

Hello everyone.

I've been monitoring the Westlaw versus Lexis debate and I'm a Westlaw man. When I was a 1L, I began using Lexis and Westlaw a semester ahead of my sighted folks because they were learning the old-fashioned way of print materials. My law school had (and still does) a strict policy against collaboration for 1L's. (On a side note, this meant that I could use a sighted 2L or 3L to look up how to cite something in the blue book and then I would do the exercises.) I loved the text only Westlaw site and found Lexis to be frustrating. I could Sheppardize to my heart's content; I just found Westlaw easier to find the stuff that I was looking for.

So, what's this about the West Digest on Westlaw? How do you access it and what type of information does it provide? Also, if I recall correctly, Westlaw only goes back to the late '70's or early '80's for the code of federal regulations. If any of you use the C.F.R. and need a reg that dates prior to Westlaw's collection, where do you go on the Internet to find it?

Thanks.

Mike