[blindlaw] Announcement: DOJ Settlement Agreement with Walmart Stores, Inc.

b75205 at gmail.com b75205 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 03:47:13 UTC 2009

No the solution here is to contact Dayton Hudson Corporation and tell them
that Walmart was doing this, so they can put it into their Target ads that
if you are blind we will not shut the door on you or kick you out of the
store. That would have done much more than any of this stuff. You need to
humiliate the corporate boardroom and make heads roll before you are going
to see any real changes out there.

James

On Feb 2, 2009 9:06pm, "Craig%20R.%20Anderson" <mar.cra at comcast.net> wrote:
> Well, folks, this is perhaps better than nothing. But in this settlement
Wal-mart is agreeing to do little more than comply with the law for the
next three years and pay a nominal amount into a dedicated fund. With the
federal government incurring a trillion dollars in debt this fiscal year,
and the country in a raging recession, couldn't the DOJ have expended its
scarce resources here to at least slightly more fruitful effect?

> Craig
>

> ----- Noel Nightingale Noel.Nightingale at ed.gov> wrote:

ADA

> > Center (www.adagreatlakes.org) for your information:
>

> > Settlement Agreement between the United States of America and Wal-Mart
>

> > Stores, Inc. Under Title III of the Americans with Disabilities Act
>

> > On January 16, 2009, the Civil Rights Division entered into a settlement
>

> > agreement with Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. under Title III of the Americans
with

> > Disabilities Act (ADA) to improve access for persons with disabilities
at

> > Wal-Mart stores nationwide. The agreement resolves an investigation that
>

> > was initiated after the Department received several complaints alleging
>

> > that Wal-Mart had refused to make reasonable modifications to its rules,
>

> > policies, practices, and procedures for customers with disabilities in
>

> > violation of Title III of the ADA. Many of the complaints alleged that
>

> > persons with disabilities were denied access to Wal-Mart stores or were
>

> > denied an equal opportunity to shop, free of repeated challenges by
>

> > Wal-Mart staff, because they were accompanied by serice animals. Service
>

> > animals are dogs and other animals that are individually trained to work
>

> > or perform tasks for persons with disabilities.
>

> > The settlement agreement covers all facilities located in the United
>

> > States where Wal-Mart sells any good or service to members of the
public,

> > including all Wal-Mart stores, Supercenters, Sam's Clubs, and
Neighborhood

http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/options/blindlaw_nfbnet.org/mar.cra%40comcast.net