[blindlaw] Accessible legislation/law beyond 17 U.S.C. 121

E.J. Zufelt everett at zufelt.ca
Fri Feb 6 11:14:37 UTC 2009

Good morning,

What if, as a blind individual, I do not wish to listen to the audio
book that the publisher provides, but wish to read the text using the
same voice and technology that I use for reading so many other texts
that I come across.  Should I have to listen to the publisher's audio
interpretation of the text, or shouldn't I have the right to access
the text in the same way that I access all other texts?

To me, there is a big difference in listening to a audio book,
recorded with a human voice, than listening to a synthesized voice
read the text, sometimes I prefer one, and sometimes the other.  As a
blind individual shouldn't I have the right to access the text of a
printed book, without having to purchase the audio version?  Or,
perhaps I purchase the book in print, allow a family member to read
it, then cut it apart so that I can read it using a computer.
Shouldn't I be able to share a text this way, or does my family need
to purchase two copies, one print, and one audio?

Thanks,
Everett