[blindlaw] Accessible legislation/law beyond 17 U.S.C. 121

James Pepper b75205 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 7 19:34:11 UTC 2009

Here is the law:
(a) Notwithstanding the provisions of section 106, it is not an infringement
of copyright for an authorized entity to reproduce or to distribute copies
or phonorecords of a previously published, nondramatic literary work if such
copies or phonorecords are reproduced or distributed in specialized formats
exclusively for use by blind or other persons with disabilities.
(b)
(1) Copies or phonorecords to which this section applies shall—
(A) not be reproduced or distributed in a format other than a specialized
format exclusively for use by blind or other persons with disabilities;
(B) bear a notice that any further reproduction or distribution in a format
other than a specialized format is an infringement; and
(C) include a copyright notice identifying the copyright owner and the date
of the original publication.
(2) The provisions of this subsection shall not apply to standardized,
secure, or norm-referenced tests and related testing material, or to
computer programs, except the portions thereof that are in conventional
human language (including descriptions of pictorial works) and displayed to
users in the ordinary course of using the computer programs.

Thsi only applies to non dramatical works.  Tom Clancy is a dramatic work,
so you either take what the publisher, owner of the content publishes or you
can not read his book.  He does not have to sell you a thing!  And you have
no right to take his work without permission.

James