[blindlaw] National Federationof theBlindRejectsNelson-CollinsAmendment

ckrugman at sbcglobal.net ckrugman at sbcglobal.net
Mon Feb 9 07:50:03 UTC 2009

I'm not sure that I understand this logic in that the issue here is methods
in which members can effectively be mobilized to take action to support the
NFB philosophy when advocating for legislation. When chapter meetings are
held once a month and state bulletins and publications such as the Monitor
are published once a month this does not provide for timely action on the
part of members. The Nelson-Collins Amendment is not really the issue here
it was the means that the broader issue came to light as there was a need
for immediate action to be taken by members and an inadequate method of
members to take such action. While many questions have always been raised
regarding the quality of VR services limiting funds for such services will
not improve them on any account. Perhaps the NFB needs to spend some time
and money on modernizing the way it relates to members and how effective
existing methods of communication are in mobilizing its members. Is the
current method of distributing legislative information through audio tapes
played at chapter meetings the most effective method? I for one would prefer
to receive legislative email alerts as is done with most other advocacy
organizations as it is much more expedient with regard to use of time at
chapter meetings and the fact that it is available in an accessible format
for immediate action by members. This does not preclude the use of
information published in Braille but it would result in a greater degree of
member participation and involvement.
Chuck