[blindlaw] National Federation of the Blind Responds to Authors Guild Statement on the Amazon Kindle 2

Patrick H. Stiehm stiehm.law at juno.com
Fri Feb 13 14:13:21 UTC 2009

So the Authors Guild says that having a book read aloud by a machine in
the privacy of one's home or vehicle is a copyright infringement.  I'll
bet they don't sue on it.  In my opinion, they would loose and if they
are well counseled, that know it.  Although some will disagree, in my
opinion this is nothing more than format shifting, which falls under Fair
Use.  We had a thread going on this issue for the last week or so, which
forced me to do some research.  I reached my conclusion based on the 1984
Betamax decision and the 1999 Rio MP3 player decision (RIAA v. Diamond
Multimedia, 180 F. 3d 1072, 1079, 9th Cir. 1999), both of which concluded
that format shifting for person use is Fair Use.

The proposed contract restriction is far more insidious. A contract not
to make these books available in audio format may in fact be enforceable
as between the parties. However, if the  Kindle 2 is capable of
converting the text-to-speech how is the Authors Guild going to enforce
the contract provision against third parties? The other problem they may
have is if they insist on that provision, is that they may find they
cannot sell their books in electronic text format which represents an
economic loss that the individual authors may not be willing to accept.

Patrick H. Stiehm
Stiehm Law Office
Alexandria, VA 22309
703-360-1089 (Voice)