[blindlaw] job discrimination

James Pepper b75205 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 18:49:40 UTC 2009

Well, I just wanted to cite a list of laws to them to explain to them and
teach them that this man should not be doing this because I don't want to
harm the non profit because they do good work but they should not be doing
this because it is wrong. If this guy continues to do this, someone might
just sue them and take them out of business and they do good work and so I
thought that if I had a list of laws I could go to their boss and say, here,
you guys have to fix this!

Right now I am writing a book for APress explaining how to make documents
forms and websites accessible because people just do not know how to do this
work and I did this with the national voter registration form.  Currently
the EAC, the Elections Assistance commission thinks their form is accessible
but in order to fill it out you have to have the full version of JAWS which
means that the blind have to pay a poll tax of $1095 to fill out the voter
registration form. I made it so they can fill it out using Adobe's "Read Out
Loud" and Microsoft Narrator so the form is accessible to anyone using a PC
running Windows and it can be filled out in about the same amount of time as
a person with eyesight and they do not have to set accessibility in Adobe
Reader, it is run with their default settings. All of the content is
accessible and I can do this in all the languages supported by Adobe which
is about 40 languages so this can be done worldwide.

I had it tested by AFB Tech and the folks at the Jernigan Institute at the
NFB and Jim Dickson the Vice President of the AAPD presented it to the EAC
in October.  The NFB is  very much aware of what I can do and I am writing
this book to explain exactly how to do this work, including how to use the
software to make these documents, forms and websites so that we can solve
this problem and train people properly to do the work!

Doing something constructive.

James

I see this discrimination all the time and I trying to fix it.  I think that
by demonstrating what is wrong and showing how to fix it will shame people
into action.