[blindlaw] Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act

Russell J. Thomas, Jr rjtlawfirm at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 28 19:54:32 UTC 2009

Thank you for your very thoughtful post. Your post touches off some "hot
buttons" with me.

Speaking just for myself, I can't imagine practicing law without Braille. I
know it can be done, and I applaude those who do it successfully.
Nonetheless, I believe that Braille is a vitally important tool for blind
people.

The first problem is that during the 70's, many sighted liberals and social
experimenters, thinking they knew what was best for blind people, thought
that Braille was old-fashion and unnecessary.  This was coupled with the
idea of "mainstreaming"--get a blind child into public school whether he/she
was ready or not.  Both these notions wound up disadvantaging many blind
people. My own view--like it or not--any blind person born blind who does
not have some knowledge of Braille should consider himself/herself
functionally illiterate. This opinion is completely different for those who
lose their sight later in life; they have very high mountains to climb. For
myself, since I have never had sight, I don't miss it.

With respect to "mainstreaming" when a child is ready for public school they
should go, so long as the proper support system is in place.  Until a child
is ready, there is nothing wrong with preparing a child in a learning
environment established for the education of blind children.

Your post raises some intriguing legal issues. I know that NFB has always
emphasized the importance of Braille literacy.  Some states, like
California, forbid the use in public universities of any book that can not
be made available in an accessible format.

While some research needs to be done, I would have to believe that there is
room for an argument that for a state to eliminate Braille as a part of its
educational process might raise serious issues under section 504, to the
extent that the state accepts federal funds to support its educational
programs.

Keep up the fight!

Respectfully,

Russell J. Thomas, Jr.