[blindlaw] The Census does not track the blind

James Pepper b75205 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 06:00:33 UTC 2009

Jim Dickson of the AAPD testified before Congress for the re-enactment of
ADA last year saying that about 10 million people are of voting age who are
blind or visually impaired.  The American Foundation for the Blind says that
there are 30 million people who are visually impaired in some manner.  The
census has about 1 million people who are sensory impaired including the
deaf between teh ages of 18 and 34.  The CDC has a figure of 6 million
people who have the top 6 principle causes of blindness.  So there is a lot
of room here and we need to know exactly where people are getting lost.

Well the census hasn't started the major work yet because we have not been
activated yet, so there is still room to manuever.  And if Congress acts
fast we can solve this problem quickly.

I suggest a listing of different levels of accessibility.

The legally blind, the visually impaired. The deaf blind, Color blind,
etc. And with the level of education.

James Pepper