[blindlaw] The Census does not track the blind

Chwalow, Judith JChwalow at nfb.org
Fri Jun 12 12:00:42 UTC 2009

The ACS also tracks blind. For the first time a government sponsored
project defines sensory deprivation with two separate questions; deaf
and blind. The census does not. It has never separated deaf from blind.
When trying to find this information I was directed by the census, to
try this survey, which I did and found the information I was looking
for. It is in the set of questions under number 17.

A. Judith Chwalow, DrPH
Director of Research, Jernigan Institute
National Federation of the Blind
1800 Johnson Street
Baltimore, MD 21230
410 659 9314 x2404