[blindlaw] Progress on obtaining electronic version of MBE

Ben Karpilow benkarpilow at gmail.com
Fri Jun 19 18:50:29 UTC 2009

To whom it may concern, After being misinformed that the national committee of bar examiners had sole jurisdiction to administer and grant accomodations for the MBE, I discovered that each state has jurisdiction to administer, and discretion to grant, accomodations to MBE takers within its jurisdiction. Here in California, at least one person has been provided with an electronic version of the MBE. Thus, although no state that I know of offers electronic versions of the MBE as a matter of course, it seems that, if one makes a compelling argument, it is possible to receive such an accomodation. I  will hear back regarding my appeal within a week or so. However, given the Supreme Court of California's recent liberal interpretation of the ADA (Thanks for the link,  Chuck), I'm hoping for the best. I share this with the group because, though there are many licensed attorneys among us, some of us are law students. I have been reading about at least one individual on this list's attempts to secure appropriate accomodations for the bar. That said,  I encourage anyone who would prefer an electronic exam over working with a sighted reader to pursue the matter.  The NCBE can confirm that each state has sole discretion to administer its own MBE.   Apparently many state bars are unaware of this, probably because the request is either made so infrequently, or not further pursued. I will apprise this group  of any developments. Regards,

Ben

Benjamin K. Karpilow
benkarpilow at gmail.com
707-548-8555