[blindlaw] independent contractor?

Mike Gilmore m_b_gilmore at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 11 17:00:41 UTC 2009

What is meant by the term Of counsel?

Mike

--- On Tue, 3/10/09, AZNOR99 at aol.com <AZNOR99 at aol.com> wrote:

From: AZNOR99 at aol.com <AZNOR99 at aol.com>
Subject: Re: [blindlaw] independent contractor?
To: blindlaw at nfbnet.org
Date: Tuesday, March 10, 2009, 10:24 PM

When I was in private practice, I had a network of attorneys I'd call if I
needed one to appear due to a conflict.  Many lawyers have such informal
networks, but others hire that sort of work out.  For example, I had a  friend
who
hired a private contractor to appear for all status hearings.  I  would
suggest you start by making a list of all the lawyers you know in your  area of

practice and then getting in touch with them to let them you're  available
for
court appearances.

I also want to suggest _www.lawcrossing.com_ (http://www.lawcrossing.com) .
It's not free,  but it is quite good.  You can set it up so it sends you
job
opportunities  every day.  It works like a search engine for legal jobs, and
its success  rate is high.

Finally, you may want to consider joining a firm as Of Counsel.  This  is a
lot cheaper for the firm because they don't necessarily have to pay you
benefits, and most pay hourly wages instead of a salary.  It's also really
handy
when there are client conflicts, because the Chinese wall is a lot easier  to
maintain.  And malpractice insurance is much cheaper for Of Counsels  than for
employees.

Good luck.

Ronza

In a message dated 3/10/2009 3:38:25 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,