[blindlaw] nfb v. target

Locke Milholland lmilholland at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 14 14:48:33 UTC 2009

Steve,
Suppose, instead of a reasoned one, I were to insert an ad homonym response
for explaining for a third time what your sarcasm indicates a continued lack
of understanding, then you could hypothetically claim defamation.  I've seen
no calculus for computing damages, yet in defamation cases damages are
nevertheless, reduced to monetary awards.  The damages are as much against
the defendant as for the plaintiff in some cases.

If my actual pecuniary damages from having to shop through Amazon's
accessible website over Target's inaccessible website were ten cents for a
dvd, then the damages are likely not to encourage Target to do anything
towards remedying their website.  Four thousand dollars per instance may.  A
remedy at law is easier to enforce than one in equity for specific
performance.

A defined amount of damages has more bite than calculated out-of-pocket
damages, and our envy of not being in California and denied shopping at
target can continue from our less proactive jurisdictions.

Locke