[blindlaw] comments needed regarding policyforaudiblepedestriansignals

Mark BurningHawk stone_troll at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 16 16:10:21 UTC 2009

I don't know if my comments below are germane, but here's what I have
experienced:
I have never encountered audible crosswalk signals until I came to
California, about five years ago.  For the previous thirty something
years, I crossed streets without such.  Because of my hearing loss, I
am not averse to the added information such signals give, but I feel
they may hinder more than they harm .  If a blind person becomes
dependent upon the beeps to know when to cross a street, instead of
using real skills to cross the street, the potential for dependent
behavior and dangerous outcomes is considerably high.  Also, it has
been my experience--sometimes almost scary experience--that the
audible portion of the signal is not always accurate; a "north-south
beep," might in fact signal permission to walk crossing an east-west
street, if that makes any sense.  The upshot is that the beep you
think means walk will sometimes mean don't walk, and so any
reassurance provided by the extra information is not all that
reassuring.  Also, with the advent of left turn only cycles, a
crosswalk may in fact give false information.  I'm not sure that these
devices are at a stage where we should be pushing whole-heartedly for
them, but I also see their use in a limited capacity.