[blindlaw] Fw: Reading Rights Coalition Urges Authors to Allow Everyone Access to E-books

Michael Fry mikefry79 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 23:29:39 UTC 2009

To address the first part of your question, Shane, the Guild made the
suggestion that those with disabilities desiring to use the Kindle 2
text-to-speech software would have to register in order to obtain access to
that software.  A burden of proof showing the extent of the registrants
disability would be placed on the registrant.  This in addition to the
hassle of filling out and processing the registration form.  I don't know
about you Shane, but I don't want to tell the Guild about the intimate
details of my disability.

Regarding the second part of your first question, Shane.  As far as the
additional cost goes the Guild can charge more for an aduiobook than they
can for a print based book.  The reason they don't want the text-to-speech
software used is because they think demand for more expensive audiobooks
will decrease.  This is a stupidly held belief on their part
since audiobooks should be considered a different media than books read via
text-to-speech software because audiobooks are read by humans and therefore
have a superior sounding quality.  The Guild's position is analogous to them
saying anyone with a reading disability must buy a more expensive hard cover
book.  In fact it's even more egregious than that because the selection of
audiobooks is paltry compared to that of print books.

I know that Guild wants to have the ability to just turn off the text to
reading software.  But the real issue is why do they want to turn off the
reading software?  The answer to that question, Shane, is so Guild can force
people with text-reading-disabilities to buy more expensive audiobooks.

I realize the last posting I made in this thread had some grammatical
problems.  I was in a rush while writing it.  Nonetheless, I hope I got the
point across.
Mike