[blindlaw] Fw: Reading Rights Coalition Urges Authorsto AllowEveryone Access to E-books

T. Joseph Carter carter.tjoseph at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 22:22:19 UTC 2009

Text-to-speech is clumsy at best, even when access technology is
present, unless you are dealing with content specifically designed
for text-to-speech.  The complexity of the screen reader is not so
much in getting it to tell you what text is drawn on the screen, but
rather to intelligently determine what text to say, when to say it,
and how.  Is "sep" to indicate September or separator, or is it just
a nonsense word or a typo?  This is the easiest sort of problem a
screen reader has to figure out.

What you have in the case of the Kindle is a device whose firmware
could--and would, with some coaxing from organizations like the
NFB--be made to be useful by blind and sighted people alike.  It is
universal design, available to all.  Using a talking Kindle, a blind
person is, for all intents and purposes, the same as a sighted
person.  One who is dyslexic has the same access to the printed word
as any bookworm.  The device is a commodity product, the content is
ready to be read by the eye or the TTS engine, and you can just pick
it up and go.

When I have the means to participate in society in the same way as my
sighted peers by reading the same books, using the same methods,
available to me at the same time and for the same price, I know it is
respectable to be blind.  I know this because to be blind is then
clearly no different than to be sighted.  That changes if I have to
beg Amazon to consider me crippled enough to need to be allowed to
have my books read to me, as a special concession to my pitiful state
of just not having enough vision to read even the largest font size
for a long period of time.  Please Amazon, approve my request?  Take
pity on me, please?

It truly is a matter of dignity.  Is the accommodation obvious and
available to anyone who needs it without justification necessary?  Or
is it something unreasonable that is provided only to those who truly
need it, if they can prove their need outweighs the cost of allowing
them special treatment?

The Author's Guild seems to believe the latter.

Joseph