[blindlaw] outlining methods

AZNOR99 at aol.com AZNOR99 at aol.com
Sat Oct 31 21:24:08 UTC 2009

Jay,

Welcome to the list.

You raise an excellent point.  I had the same problem trying to figure  out
the big picture with the outline method at first.  I ultimately  developed
the habit of creating two outlines.  The first one was a really  general big
picture sort - less than a page.  Think of it as a sort of  table of
contents, if you want.  I even went back and added page numbers to  my other
outline later.  I modeled this one-pager after the course sylabus  outline.  I
also created it near the beginning of the semester so that I  had a sense of
where we were headed.  I've pasted portions of that  one-pager at the bottom
of this email for your reference.

Then I would take that really general "big picture" outline and fill it in
with specific cases, concepts, and exceptions.  So I might include things
like "definition" or a specific case name and short description under one of
the  subcategories.  By the time the term ended, I'd have just as long an
outline as everyone else, but I also had the one-pager, which was great for
little cram sessions and to keep me grounded.  In fact, I actually compiled
 all the one-pagers and used them to help me study for the bar exam.

Let me know if you want me to send you other examples.

Good luck,
Ronza

Course Title: Torts
I. Intentional Torts
A. Assault
B. Battery
C. False Imprisonment
D. Intentional Infliction of Emotional Distress (IIED)
E. Trespass to Land
II. Harm to Economic and Dignitary Interests
A. Defamation
B. Invasion of Privacy
C. Misrepresentation
D. Interference with Business Relations
III. Negligence
A. Prima Facia Case
    1. Duty
    2. Breach
    3. Causation
    4. Damages
B. Defenses
    1. Contributory Negligence
    2. Comparative Negligence
    3. Assumption of Risk
    4. Strict Liability

In a message dated 10/31/2009 3:22:30 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,