[blindlaw] Textbooks for disabled, Particularly College Students

ckrugman at sbcglobal.net ckrugman at sbcglobal.net
Mon Sep 7 17:43:30 UTC 2009

While this sounds good on the surface a drawback to this is that disabled
students are losing their choices to be independent by having to register as
being disabled and allowing the college to assume responsibility for
producing and locating textbooks. I realize I'm dating myself here but I
learned many valuable skills by having to procure and arrangement for use of
text materials in an available format. These skills included the supervision
of personnel (readers) a valuable skill transferable to the real work of
employment where supervision of staff is necessary, procuring materials in a
timely manner a transferable skill of meeting deadlines and insuring that
materials would be available. and an ability to be self-reliant learning to
find and create available resources and development of increased problem
solving skills. Unfortunately, too many disabled students blind or otherwise
lack these skills today and as a result are ill equipped to adequately
compete in the real world of employment when programs such disabled services
do not exist in the real world. In many cases the development and use of
such systems prevent students from addressing individual needs with faculty
members as they would have to do when they are on their own in an employment
setting.
Chuck