[blindlaw] Accessible Technology

Mazen jazenmazen at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 13 19:38:39 UTC 2009

This is a very interesting question. Can there be any kind of regulation
that would make emerging consumer technologies accessible? I would posit
that the standard should require the incorporation of accessible design in
technology where doing so is not unduly burdensome. In other words, where
the cost of doing so is not prohibitive.  I think adopting such a regulation
would actually cost businesses far less than figuring out how to make
something accessible after the design is complete.

This could include an access design assessment, analogous to an
environmental impact statement, that can be part of the development process.

A good example of where this kind of regulation would have made a difference
is in Ipods. it took apple nearly a decade to come out with an Ipod that has
voiceover. Is there any reason why this shouldn't have been part of the
original design?

Thoughts?

M~