[blindlaw] Postal question

Tammy Cantrell t.l.cantrell at comcast.net
Thu Apr 1 02:41:57 UTC 2010

I have a legal question I need some input on from those that know more about this than I do.  I'll give you the situation 1st and then the question.
    Situation:
    A totally blind person lives in an apartment complex.  The US Postal Service delivers mail to each apartment.  For out going mail, there used to be a drop box within the complex.  It was close to the office area but was still available.
    Now the Postal Service has removed the drop box for the out going mail.  The only way this blind person has of sending mail is either stand around and wait for the mail carrier, entrust the out going mail to somebody else to drop off or (here's the best one)  make an appointment with Access which is their Paratransit service, pay $3.50 one way spend 3 plus hours and deliver the letter, then pay $3.50 again to return home.
    The removal of the out going drop box was not at the request of the Apartment Complex.  The Postal Service stated that the drop box was not cost effective, therefore, it had to be removed.
    Question:
    What legal steps can be taken to resolve this situation.
    There has already been useless conversations with the local Post Office.  I would be very interested in hearing your suggestions.
    Thanks so much for your assistance!