[blindlaw] I'm Confused - RE: Canes and Blindness along withthechanging color of the cane

ShaunR shaunreim at gmail.com
Fri Apr 2 01:17:31 UTC 2010

Hello,

I'm new to the list, and it's been interesting following this
conversation thread. I can definitely see the merit in both points of
view, and ultimately, it seems to come down to one's personal
perspective. I for one enjoy the communication aspect of my white
cane, despite the stigma/preconceived notions that it brings, but I
see nothing wrong with a person deciding to change the color of their
cane if they choose. Yes, they may be losing an- at times- useful
communication tool, but the white cane does come with real downsides,
and they should feel free to abandon it if they wish.

Personally, I like the communicative power of the white cane I carry.
Before I began carrying a cane, I constantly found myself in awkward
situations with sighted people. Whether I was bumping into people,
missing extended hands, mysteriously tripping over stuff, stepping on
toes or the legs of people sitting on the ground or having thrown
items bounce off me, I always struggled with the problem of when and
when not to provide information about my eyesight. Half the time, when
I did decide to let them in on it, I found that they didn't really
understand the explanation anyway. The white cane cuts through all
that mucky nonsense with people I don't know, and people I do know
well develop a strong sense of my strengths and weaknesses despite it.

I remember this time I was at a train station in Venice Italy trying
to keep up with my wife and brother-in-law. We were in a tunnel under
the train tracks, and the only light coming into the environment was
from stairwells that went up to the surface. My wife and
brother-in-law could see well, but being nightblind, I couldn't. I was
walking pretty fast, and I bumped into this HUGE guy who stepped out
of a stairwell and right in front of me. I said sorry, but he just
stood there staring at me like he wanted to kill me. Luckily, I booked
it out of there in a hurry, but if I'd stuck around he might have
pummeled me. In that situation, a weapon probably wouldn't have helped
me (he would have just took it away and used it on me), but a white
cane would have diffused the situation instantly.

I like that.

Seriously, though, to each there own. Both arguments have merit.

Shaun Reimers