[blindlaw] ADA and Discovery

denise avant dravant at ameritech.net
Sun Apr 4 02:01:42 UTC 2010

Hello,
I practice criminal law in Chicago with the Public Defenders office.
However, it is done at the appellate and collateral remedies levels, and I
have been able to get State Motions and Briefs in word or regular adobe.
Most of the Assistant State's Attorneys, and Assistant Attorney Generals are
very nice in e-mailing me the electronic file. But this is done on an
individual basis. I'm not certain there is an overall policy by the offices
itself to do that.
Things may be different at the federal level as the various prosecutors and
defense as well as the courts have communicated in an electronic manner for
years.
If you have not already done so, perhaps you should find someone in the
public defenders office and other offices to explain why your assistive
technology cannot handle their documents.
Essentially, I am suggesting if you haven't done so already, make an attempt
to educate and see if this gets the job done.