[blindlaw] admission question

Rob Tabor rob.tabor at sbcglobal.net
Tue Apr 27 23:10:42 UTC 2010

Hello Darren and list.

I agree with Mr. Kennedy that you should retake the LSAT to improve your
score although I can understand apprehension about getting hit with a second
round of application fees and the time involved in preparation for a hurtle
you had hoped to have jumped by now. I also agree that the accommodations
made available to you may not have been adequate to aid your performance on
the exam. Poor reading can really trip a person up badly, so I would commend
you to advocate with the test center to allow you to bring a reader of your
choosing. If the manager of the testing facility is worried about you
picking a reader that knows enough to help you, there are two arguments you
can offer as rebuttal. First, the test room is proctored even if you are in
a separate testing room which is also standard procedure to avoid
distracting other test candidates with necessary conversation between you
and your reader. In fact I would diplomaticly mention that test room
monitoring in your situation is even closer because the proctor is only
observing you and your reader as opposed to watching and listening to 100
examinees. Secondly, you can offer to provide a notarized affidavit
declaring the person you have hired to read for you is not an attorney or
otherwise legally trained, together with  any other assurances the test
center director feels is important. Another alternative is to ask if
computerized test-taking is available with appropriate assistive technology.

Secondly, I suspect a retake could help improve your test score in that you
have experienced the types of questions being asked and now know what to
expect. No doubt performance anxiety can also impair good performance on
standardized academic tests including the LSAT. I sincerely wish you good
luck and keep us posted.

Best regards
Rob Tabor