[blindlaw] Guide dogs in the workplace

James Weisberg jimi-law at dc.rr.com
Fri Dec 17 16:55:43 UTC 2010

Andrew:

I have been practicing law for over ten years at all times with a guide dog.
My first position was a judicial clerkship.  Since, I have had several short
stints with small firms (two) and the remainder as a solo practitioner.  In
all cases my dog received more respect than I did (could just be my personal
character flaws at play here!) but what you can expect to deal with will be
"dog lovers" who despite the dog clearly being a "working animal" will
repeatedly "break the rules" by attempting to interact with your dog no
matter how many times or how direct or indirect you request otherwise.  I do
not know whether my dogs have prevented any job offers as of course there's
really know way of knowing.  But if you are planning a career as a lawyer,
litigator in particular, a guide dog is a GREAT asset - stock the jury with
retirement age woman and your golden regardless of the facts of your case!!
When the jurors start blowing kisses to your dog during testimony or
otherwise mouthing "I love you" to your dog AND opposing counsel notices
your ripe for settlement at recess.  I'm talking from experience here.  I
say go for it.

Aside from the employment aspect you will no doubt be pleasantly surprised
by the companionship aspect which is even better than the mobility
assistance.  If you are thinking about "Guide Dogs for the Blind" absolutely
go for it as they are a first rate organization and their dogs are the best.
Go to the Oregon campus, it's sweet and so it the food!!

Best~

James