[blindlaw] Stephanie's Case

Sarah Clark goldflash9 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Feb 11 21:53:18 UTC 2010

I don't know if they've allowed others to take the exam on a computer, but I
know one thing.  The next time I take any kind of standardized exam I am
requiring them to either allow me to bring my own reader, or allow me to
take it on a computer with Jaws.
I very recently took a standardized professional exam with a reader that I
was assured by the test administrators could read.  Even after I brought my
concerns about using a human reader to the administrators prior to the exam,
they would not let me bring my own reader, nor would they let me speak to
the reader ahead of time to ensure that the person could read.  As it turns
out, the person could not read.  She was probably the worst "reader" I had
ever met.  The entire exam turned into a disaster and one of the most
horrific experiences of my life.  I will never again trust an organization's
judgement of the quality of the readers they use.  To them, their readers
are all good.  Yet it is a fact that they have taken no concrete measures to
ensure this to be the case. I did pass the exam somehow, but I will never
again allow myself to be put into a situation like that.

Sarah