[blindlaw] Readers and the ADA

Richard Barbuto rbarbuto at optonline.net
Sat Jun 26 20:14:17 UTC 2010

Good afternoon all,

I have been following this list for some months but this is my first post. I
am returning to a criminal trial practice after a severe vision loss about
three years ago.

In my state, New York, private counsel is sometimes assigned to clients
under a program with the state/county pays the lawyer to represent indigent
persons. I would like to hear some views on whether or not the state/county
should pay for a reader for me during trials and hearings as a "reasonable
accommodation" under the ADA.

I welcome your thoughts and thank you in advance.

Dick

Richard J. Barbuto
Attorney at Law
26 Railroad Ave., PMB 118