[blindlaw] AnyLoopHoles4OhioLease?

Frye, Dan DFrye at nfb.org
Fri Mar 5 12:54:40 UTC 2010

Roger:

This question doesn't sound especially blindness related, so I'd
recommend that you go to the Bar Association in your city or state to
find a landlord tenant attorney. Rental laws vary from state-to-state,
but generally the terms of the agreement you signed will govern. Often
some consequences exist for breaking a lease. Leases give renters the
security of knowing they have a place to rent for a finite period of
time; they give owners the security of knowing that they have a reliable
renter for the same period. The details of the agreement are designed to
encourage all parties to honor those terms. And, on the occasion when
the lease is to be violated, it's usual for the offender to incur the
consequences of terminating the lease. The remedy you describe,
forfeiting your deposit and being responsible for half of the lease,
doesn't seem unusual or particularly harsh, but I don't know the
specifics of Ohio law. Breaking a lease is not inherently wrong or
illegal; it just comes with certain legal consequences associated with
such a business decision. Good luck.

Dan Frye