[blindlaw] fed work

Mike Gilmore m_b_gilmore at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 20 22:30:18 UTC 2010

This is a question for those of you who work in D.C. for the feds. I realize it's a bit off topic and I apologize to the list; however, I couldn't think of any other forum to ask these questions.  I'll begin working for the feds a week from this Monday.

First, legal research. Does your agency give you an agencywide ID and password for Westlaw and Lexis? Or do you have to sign up for either or both of these services yourself and pay for it out of your own pocket?

Next, mobility. Specifically, do the federal buildings have signs with braille denoting the room number, restrooms, etc.?

Third, documents. Is there braille on the vending machines? Braille menus in the cafeteria? Agency manuals in braille or electronic form?

Finally, transportation. If any of you use Metro Access to get back and forth from work, I would like to know what you've experienced. Specifically, how reliable are they if you want an early morning 6:00 a.m. pick up? How about picking up after work? How often do you get straight rides to work or from work to home versus shared rides? (I'm especially interested in the experiences of those of you who do a nine hour week, then four days of eight hours with the fifth day being a day off. California calls it 9-8-80; I don't know what the feds call it.)

That's all I can think of for now. Thanks.

Mike