[blindlaw] Fw: [nabs-l] plane fares for Louisiana and Colorado

Steve P. Deeley stevep.deeley at insightbb.com
Mon Mar 22 00:42:48 UTC 2010

I have posted on this subject in the past and caught some real junk from
those belonging to the NFB.  I am not a FNFB basher, as a matter of fact, I
agree with a great deal of their philosophies.  I'll say this to you:
You should get as much out of the center in your area that you can while
attempting to get funding for your trip to the Colorado program.  If it
doesn't work out then ask for some assistance to get to Colorado.  The The
Budgets' of the various state Rehabilitation services are really in bad
shape.  There a lot of consumers who are attempting to be served and have
educational and vocational needs.  Someone in the NFB told me that a
rehabilitation agency should have to pay for a gifted student to attend
Harvard.  That is absolutely absurd.  There is only so much money to go
around during these difficult times.
Here is another point for you to consider:  In Kentucky: a client has been
fighting with the Kentucky Office for the Blind for well over two years in
order to get a trip to one of the NFB Centers.  This person has wasted over
two years of his life fighting the agency.  He did not attend the McDowell
Center while fighting this out in various administrative processes and in
court.  This person could have been working his rehab plan while trying to
get a trip to an NFB Center.  This consumer chose not to follow that path.
I think he made a huge mistake.  He should have been attending the McDowell
Center while fighting his battles with the Kentucky Office for the Blind.
He will not get back those two or three years of his life.  I don't know if
the case has been resolved as of this posting.

Steve Deeley