[blindlaw] High Volume Criminal Calendars

Aser Tolentino agtolentino at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 10:02:53 UTC 2010

Hi Everybody,
Has anyone on list ever handled a high volume criminal calendar, say in
excess of 50 cases for the morning? I really want to be a prosecutor. I have
discovered that I (technically right now a secretary since interns don't
have access) can pull scanned versions of the files themselves from the
office's archives to use to prepare for hearings and the like. That and
trial, though I've never done a real one, I think I can deal with. The big
obstacle at the moment is calendars. Standing in for a number of attorneys,
one prosecutor might have 50 or more cases on the table for the morning
calendar, dealing with everything from first appearances to judgment and
sentencing. The big issue is that I can't read the notes on the docket
sheets. Has anyone ever been in my position or something like it?
I'm thinking a reader might be the only possible solution. We would have to
go over cases when the calendar was prepared and he or she would have to be
there with me if questions arose during court.  I'm not sure how viable that
is.
Assuming all of that is viable. Does anyone have any advice on how to bring
up the need for a reader with a potential employer? Is that a cost they
incur for hiring me? It has been suggested, in a speculative way, that I
might have better luck getting such support at a large metro office rather
than out in the smaller counties where I've worked. Any thoughts on that?
I like to think of myself as being able to come up with solutions to such
issues, but I'm aware of potential limitations. Any guidance you could
provide would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Aser