[blindlaw] Pimp My Cane

Mark BurningHawk stone_troll at sbcglobal.net
Sun Mar 28 21:51:02 UTC 2010

I'm following this thread, and I know a large percentage of the folks
here are NFB members; I personally a not, nor any organization, for
that matter.  I find a bit of hypocrisy in this discussion:  First the
NFB rails against things like audible cross walk signals and so on,
claiming that the blind don't need them, that it's not what the blind
"want," whatever.  Same with identifiable currency.  Now, however, I
hear a bunch of the same people saying, in effect, "I want to carry a
symbol of blindness! I want to proclaim my blindness to everyone so
that they can alter their behaviors appropriately in recognition of
the fact that I'm blind!"  I should think the true spirit of the NFB
might be to use a black cane and give no indication whatsoever of
blindness, except on a purely voluntary basis.  I just don't
understand this.

Mark BurningHawk
Skype and Twitter:  BurningHawk1969
Home:  Http://MarkBurningHawk.net/