[blindlaw] Pimp My Cane

David Andrews dandrews at visi.com
Tue Mar 30 19:27:02 UTC 2010

Mark:

Two things:  first, discussion of NFB philosophy is not really on
topic for this list, nonetheless I will try and briefly answer your
question.  I think the problem comes in that you misunderstand why we
aren't in favor of some audio pedestrian signals, some forms of
currency identification etc.  First, some of your language, that we
"rail against" does not lend itself to reasoned discussion.  Your
examples to me imply that you think we are against any recognizable
identification of blindness.  This isn't the reason.  I think as a
group we are proud of ourselves as blind persons and what we have accomplished.

On the other hand we feel that you should only ask for and use those
accommodations that are necessary, and when there are other ways of
accomplishing something, you should use those ways.

You are drawing a black and white picture of the world, and NFB's
reaction to it, and the true picture is much more nuanced.

Dave