[blindlaw] Kaplan LSAT Support

Derek Wilson dwilson.lists at gmail.com
Fri May 14 14:25:34 UTC 2010

Hi Tom,

I also took an LSAT prep course with Kaplan, though mine was online
and self-paced.  Kaplan provided me with PDF versions of the study
materials as well.  I had no difficulty accessing the PDF files with
ZoomText, but I did have some trouble with what I believe were
flash-based tutorials and quizzes.  They were much less accessible, as
the text did not appear to be tagged so the reading cursor jumbped
around the screen at random.

In my case, I needed to arrange for a reader through LSAC.  Kaplan had
nothing to do with this.  I am a Canadian who took the LSAT in Tokyo
last September and again last December.

One word of caution, you would be wise to do your best to prepare for
the LSAT under the same conditions as you will write on test day.  I
prepared online with a screen-reader, but was given only 2 options by
LSAC in the way of accommodation: 1. a large-print test book, or 2. a
human reader. The nature of my disability makes large print difficult
for me to read, as it is an 18-point font.  I am able to read only 14
or 16-point font, and only with great difficulty for short periods of
time.  To make a long story short, my test day score was 15 points
lower than my timed practice test score. Other reasons aside, the
nature of my interaction with the test material was a huge factor in
my performance.  As I was not in a position to pay a human reader to
help me study, my options were limited.  I don't what the implications
are for you, but I wanted to bring this to your attention.

If you decide to go with a human reader, I strongly urge you to meet
with them in person prior to test day and assess their reading skills
at this level.  They will need to be quick, clear, competent, and have
the stamina to last for many hours.  LSAC will pay for them to meet
with you for up to 3 hours for the purposes of screening and
acquaintance, and you have the right of refusal if you deem them unfit
for the task.

After my first time writing the LSAT in September of last year, I
asked LSAC point blank if I could take the test on a computer using
Access Technology, and they flat out said "No, that is not possible at
this time." I asked if LSAC was planning to offer a computer-based
alternative in the future, and the representative repeated flatly "No,
not at this time."  I have since learned that two of my acquaintances
in Canada, both of whom are visually impaired, were able to write on
test day with the use of a PC and Access Technology.  I would not go
so far as to say that LSAC is arbitrary in their accommodation
decisions, since I do not have all of the facts, but it is clear to me
that the playing field is far from level.

I sincerely hope that you find this information useful in some way,
and I wish you the best of luck on test day!

Regards,
Derek Wilson
www.twitter.com/culturemate
http://jp.linkedin.com/in/culturemate