[blindlaw] Practicing through apprenticeship

Patrick H Stiehm stiehm.law at juno.com
Wed Nov 24 19:08:17 UTC 2010

Virginia still has the so called "Lincoln Law" which permits you to
"read" for the law in the office of a Virginia bared lawyer. I'm not sure
how long the required timeframe is or what any other requirements may be.
You still have to take and pass the Virginia Bar Examination to be
admitted in that fashion. The year I was admitted there was one
individual who got admitted that way. He was specially introduced and in
the introduction it was noted that he was the first one in several years
to have gone through that procedure. I am not sure how common it is.
As far as Wisconsin is concerned, at when I practiced there, if you had
attended either the University of Wisconsin law school or the Marquette
University law school and had taken and passed certain designated courses
that were prescribed by the Board of Law Examiners you were admitted on
graduation. This was of course great for the UW and Marquette law
graduates. Even for those of us who had not gone to UW or Marquette it
was a benefit. When I took the Wisconsin bar there were only 98 people
taking it, as opposed to an excess of 500 in Minnesota a few years
earlier. Wisconsin's test was a three-day test, we started it on a Monday
finished on a Wednesday, on Friday they had the results which you call in
and get and we were sworn in the following Monday, one week from the day
we started the exam.
Stiehm Law Office
Alexandria, Virginia
703-360-1089 (Voice)
703-935-8266 (Fax)
Email address: stiehm.law at verizon.net

On Tue, 23 Nov 2010 15:01:09 -0500 "John Ramsey" <joramsey at cox.net>
writes:
> Ross:
> There are some States that still allow for an apprenticeship style
> bar
> membership. For example, I believe Virginia still allows for a
> person to
> become licensed if they work under an attorney for five years. I am
> told a
> few states have some variation of this. Also, I believe it is
> Wisconsin that
> does not require a bar exam at all for Wisconsin law grads.
> Take care,
> John
> for blindlaw:

http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/options/blindlaw_nfbnet.org/stiehm.law%40ju