[blindlaw] reading scanned PDF's

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Tue Oct 26 21:21:18 UTC 2010

Most of the OCR programs now support doing OCR from PDF to create text versions.  Kurzweil 1000 and Open Book both have this ability as I understand
it, although you may have to print the document to a "virtual printer" which captures the output in a file that can be accessed directly for OCR.  Omnipage
has a PDF Converter that comes with it as well.  In general, pasting a scanned document into Word will not solve your problem unless you have the version
of Microsoft Office that includes some OCR capability.

Good luck.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson

On Tue, 26 Oct 2010 09:23:35 -0700 (PDT), Mike Gilmore wrote:

>I was wondering if anyone has come across my problem. Sometimes, documents are scanned into a PDF. When they are open, JAWS says that it's an
empty document because, to JAWS, the scanned document is an image and therefore is treated as if it doesn't exist. Short of printing out the entire
document (which can be very time-consuming and wasteful of paper if the document is rather long), is there any way to work around this problem? I thought
of copying  and pasting the entire document into a Word document so JAWS can read it. This works except when the PDF has been made secure and
therefore cannot be copied and pasted.